Friday, March 09, 2007

Mr. Postman

From the comment section, below:

Anyone, please point me to right direction. My niece married to a doctor who later turned out to be a jerk. My niece finally gave up and filed for divorce. While the divorce is still pending he disclosed some very sensitive health information of her wife to like half of the town. Somebody told us to file a HIPAA complaint but we are not sure if it falls under that law? where to start from and what should we expect from HIPAA's end?
Thanks in advance for your help.

HIPAA will only apply if the doctor was also her caregiver. Information gathered and shared as a spouse is not covered, and the fact of his being a doctor will not automatically make him a covered entity.
Although things are looking better, enforcement has been very lax under the current administration. You might inquire, though, and other local privacy laws may apply.
The complaint process is here:
Good Luck!

No comments: