Tuesday, October 30, 2007

They're Red Hot

Somedays the stupid burns so hotly you can warm your attic with it:

"You can't look at your own records or any family member records unless there is a clinical need to do so," Braccino said. "If you are doing so just because they are there and you have a private interest, you are violating HIPAA regulations and patient confidentiality."

Trustee Shelbie Bershinsky said many of the employees probably looked at their own medical records with harmless intent.

"I've been in health care 19 years and I, until today, I didn't think there was anything wrong with me looking at my records," she said. "I now know that I shouldn't do that."

Hospital compliance officer Dean Jessup said HIPPA regulations, including the prohibition against viewing one's own medical records, are posted at each of the hospital's time clocks.


Your medical records are yours. There is no provision in HIPAA preventing you in any way from viewing your own PHI. None. There may very well be a regulation in that facility's HIPAA compliance policy against it, but it is nowhere to be found in the Act itself.

No comments: