Sunday, April 29, 2007

Days of Our Wives

You know, this HIPAA thing often seems to lead in completely unexpected directions. Who would have ever guessed that a boring collection of medical regulations would somehow connect with the trial for statuatory rape of a notorious cult leader?

A 5th District judge has ordered a media coalition seeking to unseal a secret petition issued in the prosecution of polygamous sect leader Warren S. Jeffs to submit to the court briefs addressing issues of the leader's privacy rights under HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.


You know, it used to be if I wanted to be left alone on a long flight, when the person in the seat next to me asked what I did, I told them I was a HIPAA consultant and offered to tell them all about it. They would immediately feign fatigue, and be fake-snoring in minutes. But if this sort of thing keeps happeneing, I'll be wearing wrap-around shades and travelling with an entourage.

No comments: